By Harry M. Benshoff,Sean Griffin
- Provides a finished review of the commercial, socio-cultural, and aesthetic components that give a contribution to cinematic representations of race, category, gender, and sexuality
- Includes over a hundred illustrations, word list of keywords, questions for dialogue, and lists for additional reading/viewing
- Includes new case stories of a couple of motion pictures, together with Crash, Brokeback Mountain, and Quinceañera
Read Online or Download America on Film: Representing Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality at the Movies PDF
Best film & video art books
Shaped through a small staff of collage scholars within the early Nineteen Eighties, Studio Gainax is now the most adventurous and greatly esteemed anime businesses at the scene. And it truly is attention-grabbing for its special approach to animation. Formal experimentation, genre-straddling, self-reflexivity, unpredictable plot twists, a gourmand palate for stylishness, proverbially debatable endings, and a singularly iconoclastic worldview are many of the hallmarks.
Studying 19 modern motion pictures from throughout Latin the USA, this ebook identifies and explores seven the most important issues in Latin American movie: the indigenous photo, sexuality, youth, girl protagonists, crime and corruption, fratricidal wars, and writers as characters. Designed as a advisor for lecturers of Hispanic tradition or Latin American movie and literature, the ebook offers a sweeping examine the logistical conditions of filmmaking within the area besides the standards desirous about reading a Latin American movie.
Sergio Leone's renown as a filmmaker rests upon a fistful of flicks, so much particularly the 3 Westerns he made with Clint Eastwood within the mid-1960s: A Fistful of greenbacks (1964), For a number of cash extra (1965), and the great, the undesirable and the gruesome (1966). whereas the good fortune of those videos ensured Leone's attractiveness might undergo, the few movies he made following the guy with out identify Trilogy—culminating in his American gangster epic, as soon as Upon a Time in the United States (1984) with Robert DeNiro—would solidify Leone's position as one of many nice visionaries of his time.
You could no longer comprehend the identify, yet you could have obvious him in numerous 3 Stooges comedies, frequently taking part in the gruff authority determine. After years of operating within the shadows of Moe, Larry, Curly (and Shemp), in addition to the nice silent movie comic Harry Langdon, Vernon Dent is eventually receiving the eye he merits with this amazing biography.
- Werner Herzog – A Guide for the Perplexed: Conversations with Paul Cronin
- The Two Joes: Hello It's Joe
- Taking Place: Location and the Moving Image
- Woody on Rye: Jewishness in the Films and Plays of Woody Allen (Brandeis Series in American Jewish History, Culture, and Life)
Additional info for America on Film: Representing Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality at the Movies